My initial mood board was geared toward just collecting color, texture and typography, without really knowing to what end. Having a better sense of pulling together these items to complete the look of a newsletter helped me create a more cohesive look, in order to better style my document.
Essential to Design Thinking is listening. When you begin by listening, you are better equipped to come up with good design. Taking the time to connect with the assignment, I was better able to understand where my original mood board was lacking. I didn't know that the object was to build a newsletter. Now that I have that in mind, I am better able to collect what I need to get the job done right.
I have been researching mood boards and finding myself drawn to both bright colors and simplicity. I notice that I am drawn to boards that clearly state the essential, without a lot of busyness, and with fun color palates. As for typography, I like to see the words clearly, but I also like when the designer is having a little fun with it. Mix it up a little, give me something that stands out, if only just a little.
As I build my newsletter, I intend to simplify this board to just it's basics. I will likely eliminate some of the color and use the cards in a more interesting way. Laying it out, I can see how it all looks together, so I know when I set to work on the newsletter, editing will be a breeze. I'll create a look that plays with some of the things I've found in my research, but leaves all the extra behind.

No comments:
Post a Comment